Tuesday, September 22, 2009

100 year flood aftermath pictures

The lake waters have gone down and the lake is nicely contained within its banks.  Below are some aftermath pictures of the flooded area I showed you yesterday.  Check out the pictures and video from yesterday's posts for a comparison.  This has truly been the 100 year flood.  We received 15++ inches of rain in a 24 hour period.  We are in a "state of emergency" in our county and several surrounding counties.   

We are fine here and thankful for being safe and dry.  The boys' schools are closed again tomorrow.  Here's part of a note from Zack's school:
"Due to the flooding and loss of water we will remain closed. However, the water company has stated they are trying to fix all water main breaks and have water back on sometime on Wednesday. As soon as we are able to use bathroom facilities (flushing toilets) we hope to resume school.

The school is in excellent condition and has had no problems with flooding, leaks, or damage. Our ability to return to school is determined by water conditions and the ability for teachers, students, and parents to reach the school."

Joe made it to work this morning, which was no small task due to so many closed roads, to find the Chattahoochee River had flooded their parking lot and two of their buildings.  If you see pictures of Six Flags in GA on TV, Yancey Bros. is directly across Intersate 20 from Six Flags.  The river came up overnight and caused severe flooding which closed parts of  I-20, I-285 and I-575.  These are all major roadways in Atlanta.  Not to mention the 100's of local roads closed.  So we'll enjoy the sunshine we have seen today and see what tomorrow brings.

I posted one of my flood videos on a local news website and it has been viewed over 400 times.  I'm so with it, HA! 
    The deck which used to sit out over the water


What remains of the tennis courts

Entrance to the tennis courts

Playground with the green slide ripped off (you can see it on the ground)

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, you weren't kidding about all the rain and damaage it is causing! We're so glad the Swayne household is still safe and DRY! Love, Dude

    ReplyDelete