Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day - Part I

What a fantastic weekend!  I started off playing Bunco on Friday night with the group we started one year ago.  We laugh and laugh and have such a good time.  Thank you to all my bunco gals, you are a joy to be around and I look forward to our monthly gatherings.  On Saturday, I took Zack to his first golf lesson and then we went straight to his baseball game.  He played well at both and the weather was mild which made for a pleasant morning spent outside watching kid sports.  My parents arrived in town Saturday afternoon for a visit, we are so excited to have them here with us for a few days.  Joe and I went on a date Saturday night which included dinner and dancing (more on this in a moment).  Mother's Day was especially sweet this year, Mary and I celebrated together for the first time and my mom and I enjoyed the day together for the 2nd year in a row.  What a treat!  
Andy, Mary, George, Jen and Zack after 8:30 a.m. Mass at Sacred Heart
Mom, I didn't truly understand a mother's love until I became one myself.  I didn't understand the sacrifices a mother makes until I began making them myself.  I didn't understand a mother's heartache until my heart ached for my children.  I didn't understand the courage, patient, strength and wisdom it takes to be a mother until I started praying for these things each day to help me be the best mother I can be.  Thank you for everything.  You always told us to do our best.  I'm doing my best, some days it feels like my best is better than others, but I always know you are there with your love and support to help me when I do stumble.  I am thankful for you and I love you to the moon....and back. 
Mom and Jen
Is there anything more precious than the beautiful collection of construction paper made into cards and gifts from the kids on Mother's Day?
Andy, George and Zack giving Mommy her cards and gifts
Joe and I went to the Kitchen Conservatory for a "Salsa Salsa Dine and Dance" class.  Here's the description:  "Grab your partner and join us for a unique experience of dancing and dining.  The evening begins with a one-hour Latin salsa dance lesson with a dance instructor from COCA that will spark your appetite for an incredible evening in the kitchen.  Refresh your thirst with a mojito, as this hands-on class prepares fried plantain chips with black bean dip, grilled shrimp quesadillas with smoked tomato salsa, grilled pork tenderloin with papaya-mango salsa and yellow Cuban rice, plus banana cream pie."
The dance lesson was a blast.  I wore my silver heels so I could get into my Dancing with the Stars zone.  The instructor used great descriptions, such as "the shampoo" and "push the shopping cart", to teach us the various steps and moves used in the salsa.  Ask me anytime, I'd be happy to explain it.  Joe and I are no experts but we had fun learning.  You couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the entire hour of the lesson.  

For dinner, the cooking class instructor gave each couple a part of the meal to make.  All the ingredients are prepped and waiting for you at each station so you're all cooking together in one big kitchen.  One couple was in charge of mixing up the mojitos and passing out the drinks to everyone.  They were a popular couple!  Joe and I made the cuban rice which included bacon, onion, green and red peppers garlic and parsley.  We chopped, cooked and stirred while visiting with the other couples.  We each prepared our own quesadillas once the ingredients were ready to go.  The smoked tomatoes were made with a stovetop smoker.  I've never seen one before, it was amazing the flavor it added to the salsa.  Yum!  I also learned about caster sugar which is finely ground sugar.  It dissolves quickly and is good for iced tea, strawberries and mojitos (which call for sugar).  

Another person who works for the Kitchen Conservatory cleans up all the dishes as you go.  It is like being on a cooking show.  We all sat down to eat the meal together and enjoy the delicious flavors.  Joe and I were sitting next to two young couples, one dating and one newlyweds.  It was priceless to see the looks on their faces when we said we have four kids.  Joe and I will be back for another class sometime, we highly recommend it! 

Mary was 7 months old on May 6.  She weighs a whopping 13 pounds.  (Yes, she is tiny).  She's very observant and likes to watch her brothers since they are non-stop entertainment.  Mary eats baby food three times a day and opens her mouth for the next bite as soon as she swallows. She looks like a little birdie.  She rolls over but hasn't figured out yet that she can roll around to get places.  It won't be long before we'll have to put up the gate at the top of the steps.  
Mary - 7 months old

Mary and her brothers
Andy doing a silly face.


2 comments:

  1. Such a lovely tribute to your Mom! Your date night sounds awesome! What a trendy and fun night! I am glad you and Joe got to spend some time together. You'll have to show us your moves. You look so beautiful in the Mother's Day pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geek, I really like your dress you wore on Mother's Day and for your date night. This was a very nice update! Your date night sounds fun. I don't think I could convince my Joe to do the dancing part. Glad you had a nice visit with M&D. Mary is so sweet and so are her brothers...! Love, Aunt Dude

    ReplyDelete